KCC Timeline

Kenilworth Cricket Club have a long and interesting history – read on to find out more about the club, the ground and KCC’s former overseas players.

Aboutus2_KC

Year Event
1903 Presumed first game as Kenilworth Bible Class v Fairfield
1911 First mention of name change to Kenilworth St Johns CC
1914 – 1918 Cricket Suspended during WWI
1924 Annual lease obtained from Mr Silk
First annual club dinner held at the Kings Arms Hotel
Mr Pratt donates a cup (now presented to most improved player)
1933 First sight screen purchased (just the one)
1938 Benefit match held for Warwickshire player George Paine (Wisden Cricketer of the Year 1935)
1939 Esther Shakeshaft selected to tour Australia for the England ladies cricket team
1947 Join Midland Cricket Club Conference
Start playing cricket on Sundays
1948 Ground extended to current size
Six a side competition first held
1949 21 year lease granted by Lord Leigh
1950 Liquor license granted by Lord Leigh
Name changed to Kenilworth Cricket Club
Benefit match held for Warwickshire player Jimmy Ord
Granted use of the town crest by Kenilworth District Council
1958 Ground purchased from Lord Leigh for £1000
1959 New pavilion built on the current site
1960 First tour arranged
1964 The start of 3rd team matches (known at the time as the A Team)
1966 New entrance and tarmac road completed
1972 Start of League cricket on a Saturday (West Midlands Association)
Six a side competition stops
1973 Start of ‘mini cricket’
1975 Fire on 17th March destroying the pavilion
Botch Brothers formed
1976 Rebuild complete and celebrated with club dinner in the function room
1979 Hosting of ICC Trophy Match – Sri Lanka v Israel, which resulted in KCC v Israel
1982 Club player Graham Charlesworth wins Alec Hastilow Trophy (Warwickshire Young Player of the Year)
1983 Club player David Hagan wins Alec Hastilow Trophy
1984 Artificial strip laid
1986 First overseas player, Mark Bruin, joins the club from Australia
Club hosts world cup qualifying match (ICC Trophy) – Argentina v Denmark
Club play ICC Trophy warm up match v Singapore
1987 First ‘bat draw’ raffle
1989 Overseas player – Bruce Scott from New Zealand
1990 Midland Combined Counties League formed
Club buy first covers
Overseas player – Tim Hogan from Australia
1991 Overseas player – Robert ‘Dipper’ Delmenico from Australia
1992 Overseas player – Chris Dalkin from Australia (who was previously a professional Aussie Rules player)
1993 Current dressing rooms and Bridge Club built
Overseas player – Clint Ferguson from Australia (who scored over 600 runs for Saturday 1st XI)
1994 Overseas player – James Henderson from South Africa (who scored almost 2000 runs at an average of 52.5)
1995 Overseas player – Ryan Maron from South Africa (now runs a cricket school of excellence)
1996 Overseas player – Adriaan Barnard from South Africa (who scored over 2000 runs)
1997 Overseas player – Pieter Koortzen from South Africa (who made four centuries in 1300-odd runs and took 74 wickets)
1998 Join up with the Birmingham League in the Warwickshire feeder league
Overseas player – Douglas Marillier from Zimbabwe
1999 League cricket played on Sunday for the first time – Warwickshire Sunday League
Removal of artificial wicket
Return of Douglas Marillier in second season as overseas player
2000 Overseas player – Guy Savory from Zimbabwe (who scored 1400 runs)
2001 Overseas player – John Vaughan-Davies from Zimbabwe (who scored 1500 runs and took 69 wickets, including 8 – 18 v Solihull)
2002 Start of website – www.kenilworthcc.co.uk
Overseas player – Stephan Marillier from Zimbabwe (who made 1500 runs and took 54 wickets)
2003 Bowling machine purchased
2006 KCC achieve ‘clubmark’
New nets installed
Registered as CASC (Community Amateur Sports Club)
14th December 2006 – Bar and function room destroyed by fire
2007 KCC become a FOCUS club
2008 Rebuilding of new clubhouse starts
2009 Official opening of new club house
2011 Electronic ‘Ray Courts Memorial Scoreboard’ officially opened