Menu Close

Baines at his best in side’s good all round performance

Sunday XI v. Wanderers



On Sunday 26th May, Kenilworth hosted Leicester side Wanderers for a forty over a side friendly and chased down the 170 target to win by 6 wickets following a good bowling and fielding performance that was then topped by a superb unbeaten 83 from George Baines who guided the side to victory.

Visitors Wanderers won the toss and elected to bat first, Suki and Mick opened the batting for the visitors, with George Jeyaratnam and Joey Poole taking the new ball for Kenilworth. The visitors made a cautious start against some accurate seam bowling, after eight overs they were 24 without loss. Jeyaratnam made a double breakthrough in the tenth over, Mick caught behind by George Baines for 13, then four balls later took out Yash’s middle stump for no score, Wanderers 28 for 2. Harry joined Suki, the pair began to rebuild their sides innings, both batsmen looked to be more positive as the game progressed, Matt Dadswell replaced Joey Poole and Matt Casey replaced Jeyaratnam, the visitors took their score on to a hundred in the 26th over, Matthew Dadswell then had Suki well stumped down the leg side by George Baines in the 27th over, Suki making 43, Dadswell then had new man in Sohill caught by Ben Maney for 6, and then in his last over, bowled Harry for 46, Wanderers now 131 for 5 in the 31st over. Dereck made a breezy 20, before he too was stumped by George Baines, this time off Charlie Stranks, Stranks then bowled Wood for 6, Jeyaratnam returned for his last over , having Vinnie well caught by Skipper Dan Horner at backward point for 5, Divyesh was then run out by Horner for 1, as the visitors were losing wickets, as they looked to post a good score. Wanderers on 167 for 8 with one over remaining, the last over was bowled by Charlie Stranks, Stranks bowled Bruce for no score with the last ball of the visitors innings, Wanderers all out for 170 from their forty overs. Bowling honours for Kenilworth were George Jeyaratnam with 3 for 17 from eight overs, Charlie Stranks with 3 for eight from four overs and Matt Dadswell with 3 for 34 from eight overs, as the players headed off for tea.

Kenilworth opened their innings with Skipper Dan Horner and Henry Curran, both batsmen made a steady start, Divyesh and Parrish trying to keep it tight for their side, Horner and Curran were reduced to knocking ones and twos, as they looked to chase down their target, Parrish made the breakthrough in the eighth over, Curran caught and bowled for 8, Kenilworth 23 for 1. Keeper George Baines joined his Skipper Dan Horner, and soon the pair began to rebuild their sides innings, both batsmen looked in good touch, going on to make a fifty run stand together, as the y started to put pressure on the visitors, they went on to put 93 runs together in twenty overs, when Horner was stumped for 47, Kenilworth now 116 for 2. Ben Maney strode to the crease, he and Baines had added 15, when Maney was run out for 3, Kenilworth 131 for 3, new man in Darius Potten-Ravenshad was also run out, for 1, now the home side had a little wobble on 134 for 4. Matt Casey joined Baines, and Baines had just bought up a solid fifty for himself, Casey hitting a four first ball, Baines now going up the gears, as the home side got nearer to their target, Baines moved through to seventy, along with Casey the pair looked to win the game for Kenilworth, Kenilworth had got to needing one to win and scores level in the 37th over, with Casey facing, he did an audacious ramp shot over the keepers head for the winning boundary, Casey ending on 14 not out, but it was young George Baines who showed great maturity, finishing on an unbeaten innings of 83 not out, his innings containing 6 X 4. Kenilworth finishing on 174 for 4 to win by six wickets with three overs to spare.

There are a series of  photographs from the match that have been posted onto the Club’s Facebook GROUP page.

One from Umpire Cam:




Related Posts