Menu Close

3rds. skittled out for 45 but at least they played cricket when others did not

3rd. XI v. Bearley




On Saturday 8th June, Kenilworth’s Third team travelled over to Bearley after twenty four hours of persistent rain leading up to the game to play their League match whilst all other Club games were cancelled due to the weather. Sadly, the side were skittled out and soundly beaten by 7 wickets, yet Bearley had made every effort to ‘Get the Game On’ and were doing a sterling effort with the mopping up and pitch preparation to ensure that the match went ahead.

Remarkably , after three inspections of the wet areas on the edge of the square, the game eventually started at 3.15, thanks to the hard work by the Bearley side – a game reduced to twenty eight overs per side. Kenilworth were asked to bat first after losing the toss, openers Uma Umar Shanker and Dan Roden, against a decent Bearley opening bowlers Ullah and Rahman, Kenilworth lost Umar Shanker, lbw to Rahman for 1, the visitors 4 for 1.  James Alty then joined Roden, but the latter was bowled by Rahman for 5 . Ullah then ripped out James Alty, Will Thompson and Ed Smith in a firey spell, all without scoring, from 13 for 1 Kenilworth had collapsed to 13 for 5. Andy Dadswell and Steve Kelley then briefly steadied the ship, putting on 13 together, but Dadswell was bowled by Ullah for 7, 26 for 6 became 31 for 7, when Kelley was bowled by Yewer for 6, Pete Alty then went without scoring, bowled by Harris, now 33 for 8. Youngsters Dan Barrie and Matthew Dadswell added 11 for the ninth wicket, but Barrie was caught off Harris for 1, Matt Dadswell went on to top score with the bat for Kenilworth, making 12, the only player to reach double figures hitting the only four of the innings, along with 13 extras, Kenilworth were all out for a sorry looking 45 in the 24th over, having found scoring runs off the accurate Bearley bowlers hard to come by. Ullah with 4 for 9 from six overs, Harris 3 for 6 from 5.1 overs and Rahman 2 for 13 from six overs doing the damage with the ball.

Mirza and Castle opened their side’s innings up, Pete Alty and Ed Smith opening the bowling for Kenilworth, the home batsmen made a steady start, after six overs were 20 without loss, Matt Dadswell replaced Alty, in his second over had Castle lbw for 6, Bearley 22 for 1. Dan Barrie replaced Smith, two overs later, skipper Geoff Edmunds replaced Barrie, after a single over from Edmunds , Dan Roden replaced him, Will Thompson replaced Dadswell, with the scores level, Bearley lost Mirza for 23, well held on the long on boundary off Roden, 45 for 2, a maiden from Thompson gave Roden another over, and a third wicket fell, Amjar stumped by Andy Dadswell for no score off Roden, 45 for 3. But Ross hit the winning run off Thompson in the next over, Bearley 46 for 3, winning in the 18th over by 7 wickets. Dan Roden with 2 for 6 from three overs and Matt Dadswell with 1 for 6 from four overs the wicket takers of the 7 bowlers used, Kenilworth take just the one point on a day when at least they turned out, represented the Club and surprisingly played cricket! 

Despite the result, all credit goes to Bearley for their commitment to Get the Game On!


Related Posts